The project studies the applicability of virtualisation and softwarisation technologies to satcom network platforms. It will determine the benefits and the challenges associated with the integration of satellite infrastructures into future cloud networks.
To this end, the CloudSat study:
- Reviews state-of-the-art virtualisation and softwarisation technologies, focusing on Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV)
- Determines the applicability of these technologies to satcom
- Identifies specific use cases/integration scenarios and studies their techno-economic efficiency
- Defines integrated virtualised satellite/terrestrial architectures and validates them in a lab environment
- Produces a roadmap and recommendations for future virtualisation-capable satellite networks
Space Hellas is the Prime Contractor of the CloudSat project responsible for the overall Project and Technical Management.